Kinetik or Optima battery

list ur system and crap so we can make sure you will get enoguh juice..also put a 1400 upfront and one in the back then you wont need the isolator

u dont need to know since i just fixed his entire issue...two batts the same size and everything wont charge off eachother so no real need for a isolator

Hi biggame63, if you are looking to mount your battery in your trunk (or any enclosed space), your battery should be properly-vented to the outside. Even though our batteries have a “sealed” design, all lead-acid batteries can vent gas. Under normal operating conditions, an AGM battery will not vent gas. Since alternators or chargers can fail, the safest and correct mounting method for trunks and passenger compartments is to make sure that any possible gas venting will escape to the outside of the vehicle. All vehicles with original equipment battery locations in the trunks or passenger compartments will have a vent provision that should be used.

Our group 27, 51, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose. The Group 34/78 YellowTop you mentioned does not. If you are custom-mounting and isolating a battery in the trunk, a Group 27 YellowTop can be vented and comes with a three-year, free replacement warranty. Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there's a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

For example, IF there is a voltage regulator failure, and IF the battery is severely overcharged, and IF this goes unnoticed, and IF the battery vents because the internal pressure exceeds the release pressure of the vents, the gasses are both flammable and toxic. This may sound like a lot of “ifs,” but attorneys and engineers get paid to plan for every worst-case scenario. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine

eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Optima Batteries | Facebook

Great information. What would you suggest in an Optima battery for everyday use, and a mild stereo system? Blue top?

Mild meaning 2 fosgate 800.4 amps.

Hi Reson8, if I am understanding you correctly, you are running two Rockford-Fosgate 800.4 amps. Amp specs- Rockford Fosgate G1800.4 (g18004) - Discontinued Car Audio & Video - Sonic Electronix

The largest capacity Optima deep-cycle battery is a Group 31 (D31A, D31T YellowTop or D31M BlueTop), at 75 amp hours (Ah). The specifications on YellowTops and BlueTops are identical, except that BlueTops have additional threaded top posts for marine applications. If you use multiple batteries in parallel, they should always be the same age, size and type. The Ah rating is determined by discharging the battery over a 20-hour period. If you discharge the battery faster, the actual Ah will be less, due to greater efficiency losses. If you discharge slower, the actual Ah will be greater. Amps usually have two ratings, max and RMS. For calculating current draw, we would want to use the RMS rating. If your system has a total rating of 1600 RMS, P/V=I, so 1600/12v= 133 amps. This is how much power your system will draw, when it is cranked and drawing full power.

If you use a smaller battery (Group 27, 34, etc...) you'll obviously have less capacity to work with, but you can calculate that in similar fashion. I don't know what your alternator is rated at, but that and your wiring (especially grounds) should be given careful review, as your system will only be as strong as your weakest link.

Jim McIlvaine

eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Optima Batteries | Facebook

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.